It was the year 1889 that Protestant Dutch immigrants, establishing their families in the Kalamazoo Valley, joined together to find a place to worship on the Northside of Kalamazoo. Following that first gathering in an apple orchard, Third Reformed Church was formally organized on August 6, 1889 and began meeting in a small cattle shed. The church began with holding three services each Sunday in the Dutch language and it was not until 1924 that the first service in English was held.
On January 1, 1890 , the first sermon was preached in a new facility built on the corner of South Westnedge Avenue and Elizabeth Street; in the heart of the Dutch community in Kalamazoo. The church's growth peaked in the 1960's, and then a gradual decline began as the church was unable to effectively reach the changing community around it.
In 1978, ten acres were purchased to build a new facility. On April 12, 1981, the first services were help at our current campus. An education wing was added in 1984, and as the church continued to grow, a 1,200-seat worship center was built with a nursery/education expansion in 2001. In 2007, a community center was built with two full-length basketball courts, weight room, cafe, and student ministry center. In 2009, our church name was changed from Third Reformed to Centerpoint Church; however, we remained a part of the Reformed Church in America denomination.
With gratitude to God for His faithfulness, Centerpoint Church has successfully planted five daughter churches, which in turn have also planted daughter churches.; fulfilling our ongoing mission of being a sending church. Centerpoint Church established a second campus in 2018 called Centerpoint City Church. In partnership with Centerpoint City Church, Iglesia de la Ciudad was established, meeting at the Centerpoint City Church location. Today, Centerpoint Church serves a five-generation congregation under our new vision of a renewed city, through a renewed people, to restore a lost and broken world for God's glory.